Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Straight from Charm City, this week's featured band...


Anyone that knows me knows I'm a huge concert-goer. I really enjoy live music, preferably good live music.
So, a couple Januaries ago, a friend told me about a concert, four bands, five bucks, and the closer was Egypt Central. Not a hugely known band, but I'd always really enjoyed their music. And hell yes, I can afford that.
So, day of the show rolls around. We go, it's at the Ottobar in Baltimore. Now, I had never been there before that time, but I wasn't surprised to find that it's basically a stage, a bar, and a thick layer of haze.
We got there early, because... well... that's what we do. Get there early, almost guaranteed a place against the stage. Not like it was really difficult, because the crowd wasn't huge.
First band was a local band called... hell... I don't remember their name. They were alright for what they did, but I wasn't really feelin' it at the time. Next band was Lennex, another local band. Highly entertaining. Good music. Third band was a Baltimore based band, Forty Acres. This was actually my favorite of the night. Egypt Central was good, but Forty Acres really stood out to me. Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of the "throwback" style of rock: something reminiscent of the 70's or 80's. But they put on a damn good show. High energy, kept the crowd moving, including that drunk chick behind me, shakily holding her drink above my head, only to let it fall, dousing me with whatever alcohol she may have been consuming.
But that's neither here nor there. After the show, I felt compelled to buy the album they had on sale: Broken Promise, a self-produced album. A purchase I was glad I made, worth way more then the... $10? $5? Something.
All I know now is that I have kept up with this band since I saw them. And it's amazing to see how far they've made it.
They started out in vocalist/guitarist John Allen's basement. He already had a lot of useful experience in both songwriting and touring before, as the drummer for SR-71, a Baltimore local alternative rock band. This time around, however, Mr. Allen stepped up to the mic, and anyone like me, who's a fan of the band is glad he did. His voice is perfectly suited for the old-school rock'n'roll sound that they produce, and the instrumental aspect is equally well suited.
They played shows around the Baltimore area for a while, until they were "discovered." Discovered, I say, by Mr. Nikki Sixx himself, bassist for Motley Crue and president of Eleven/Seven Records.
After several name changes, going from Forty Acres to Chosen Son, and then from Chosen Son to what we now know as Charm City Devils, a tribute to the city they have emerged from, they were signed to Eleven Seven, among big names like Crue themselves, Drowning Pool, and Buckcherry.
Now what is it about Charm City Devils that make them unique?
Maybe it's the fact that unlike many so-called rock bands of today, they truly represent the whole, no holds barred, dangerous, raw sound of what rock once was. No frills, nothing too complex, just pure sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.
Charm City Devils released their breakout Eleven Seven debut, Let's Rock-n-Roll, earlier this year. A fun release, preferred when played loudly, it still features that raw sound that was loved about Broken Promise.
They have just ended their run opening for Cruefest 2, and are now on the second leg of their tour, so if you get the chance, go see them.
So, if you like bands like Buckcherry or Jet, or simply like the idea of a band reviving the old school rock sound, I recommend you check out Charm City Devils.
Key Tracks -- Let's Rock-N-Roll (Endless Road), House Fire, Pour Me (IT HAS COWBELL XD)

Online:

Website
Facebook
Twitter

That's all from me, today. Enjoy.
~Sara (@skapocalypsenow)

No comments:

Post a Comment